Eight new courses address key areas of cybersecurity awareness for education leaders and employees
More than 100 school districts are victimized by cyber criminals each year. To help school administrators and staff members protect their school networks and reduce the likelihood of sensitive data falling into the wrong hands, Vector Solutions, the leading provider of training and software solutions to help schools make their operations and communities safer, smarter, and better, has created a set of online cybersecurity awareness training courses. The courses address topics such as creating a cybersecurity culture, preventing social engineering attacks, laws and compliance, best practices, and more. Information about the courses will be available starting Oct. 1, 2022.
To help education leaders understand the implications of cybercrimes, Vector will host a free webinar at 2 p.m. ET on September 27, 2022 featuring cybersecurity experts Doug Levin and Eric Lankford. Levin is national director and Lankford is co-founder and regional director of K12 Security Information eXchange (K12 SIX). They will share strategies to protect against cybercrimes, the role superintendents and school boards can play, and how IT leaders can prioritize their limited time and resources to support cybersecurity. The Vector team will also provide an overview of the new courses. To register for the webinar “Meeting the K-12 Cybersecurity Challenge” visit https://www.vectorsolutions.com/resources/webinars/meeting-the-k-12-cybersecurity-challenge.
“School districts, like many other institutions, are moving more of their operations online – everything from student records management, to administrative functions, to curriculum and instruction. This can help improve efficiency, but it can also increase the risk of cybercrime,” said Rob Buelow, head of product for education at Vector Solutions. “Our goal is to help keep schools safe and operational, and our new courses will help school leaders and employees understand these risks and how to protect their systems and their data.”
The cybersecurity courses are:
Cybersecurity Awareness for Education Leaders
- Creating a Cybersecurity Culture: The importance of cybersecurity and how educational leaders can support a cybersecurity culture.
- Safeguarding Against Social Engineer Attacks: How hackers exploit educational leaders and steps individuals and organizations can take to protect themselves.
- End-User Best Practices: Best practices for mitigating cybersecurity incidents, different types of cybersecurity insurance, how to prepare for an attack, and how to effectively manage the crisis when an incident occurs.
- Laws and Global Compliance Standards: Regulations and their importance, and key tools that schools and organizations should use to secure data.
Cybersecurity Awareness for Employees of Educational Institutions
- Classifying and Safeguarding Data for Organizational and Personal Use: Explore the three main types of data classifications, the objectives for securing data, how to keep personal and organizational data separate, standards for deleting and dumping data, and threats to mobile devices.
- Social Engineering: The ways social engineering can compromise an organization’s data security, and steps to take to stay safe.
- End-User Best Practices: How to identify non-secure hot spots in public places, the risks involved in roaming, the difference between free and commercial VPN tunnels, how to recognize legitimate and secure websites, how to protect against malwares and viruses, passwords and more.
- Security Awareness Essentials: The “who, what, and why” of hackers’ choices for targets, three main attacks that target employees, consequences of end-user hacks, Acceptable Use Policies, the pros and cons of “Bring Your Own Device,” and more.
About Vector Solutions for K-12 Education
Vector Solutions for K-12 Education provides award-winning software, resources, and professional development solutions to help create safer, smarter, better schools. Its safety products include an emergency communications platform, systems to help schools manage and track safety and compliance trainings and environmental health and safety incidents, a library of hundreds of training courses for school staff on everything from special education to diversity and inclusion, plus online safety and wellness courses for students addressing issues such as bullying, suicide and sexual harassment. Its professional development solutions encompass educator evaluations and tracking professional development activities. For more information about Vector Solutions for K-12 Education, visit www.vectorsolutions.com/k12.
About Vector Solutions
Vector Solutions is the leading provider of impactful technology solutions dedicated to driving safer, smarter, better decision-making in the world’s most critical industries. Embedded into daily workflows to drive improvements in compliance, safety, performance, and preparedness, our software includes training management, industry-focused online course libraries, EHS management, workforce scheduling, risk communication, operational readiness, and more. Vector’s unique combination of information and technology – delivered when and where it is needed – is integral to our more than 34 thousand clients looking to achieve better outcomes and safeguard lives. For more information, visit www.vectorsolutions.com.
The American Consortium for Equity in Education, publisher of the "Equity & Access" journal, celebrates and connects the educators, associations, community partners and industry leaders who are working to solve problems and create a more equitable environment for historically underserved pre K-12 students throughout the United States.